Monday, September 05, 2005

Cairo - my first impression and thoughts

As my plane made it's decent into Cairo, I viewed a land different to anything I have ever seen. This place makes Lisbon look like a tropical paradise. With the Nile cutting through thick brown desert, buildings stand ever covered with layer upon layer of desert-colored soot clinging to anything that has a surface. Although I haven't visited the pyramids yet, from the air they stand tall with a sense of freedom about them. I could also see that they appeared rough and neglected. I wish there was a way to restore them to how they may have looked some 4,500 years ago. What a sight to see as you fly in. I left green and now am brown.

This is my fifth day in Cairo and so far my visit has been great. It is everything I imagined and more. I must admit I expected difficulties with the people and their behaviors. On the contrary everyone thus far has been nice and friendly. Of course you have your touts and a few beggers but it is manageable – at least so far in the downtown area. This opinion is not without the occasional smooch-kiss sound, 'hey, where are you from', 'come here', 'lucky man' to my friend, etc. These come with the territory. If you talk to these people, they are very friendly and are just interested in what you're all about. Although they lack any tact or appropriateness, I accept them for who they are since they don't know any better.

Driving here is mad. Forget lanes, forget respect, forget cooperation. It's all about position and inches matter. Some intersections remind me where I25 meets I225 with the Bellview exit before TRex. Imagine that place with no use of lanes, a lot of honking at nothing and with 20 times the amount of traffic. No, it is even worse. To cross any street you must cross with force, as explained to me by our hostel guy. Daunting to me but a normal every day occurrence to my friend Brian having come from the East. I'll adjust.

My best traffic sight was seeing a young boy on a bike carrying a very large metal sheet (maybe 5 by 2.5 feet) of breads on top of his head while riding in traffic. I also witnessed a wooden ladder balanced on another guys head while riding his bike – both hand on the handle bars.


Quite a culture shock to come here for me especially from the beautiful country of Austria. I have been more tired and warn down after each day. Hoping that I will adjust soon. This place is amazing and thus, more stories will arise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home