Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Selfishness?

Let's step back for a moment. . .

We can all prolly agree that most, if not all, countries have stray animals to some degree. Some more than others. So far Greece has been the worst of this trip (knowing though that more is yet to come). However, I heard a stunning story which I cannot verify as true but I can attest that more than one person validated it and I witnessed it to a lesser degree. I'd like to share this with you all since it is quite disturbing.

The hostel I stayed at (which I no longer recommend) in central Athens had a great location with roof top view of the Parthenon. Unfortunately, I saw a ton of stray dogs and cats - everywhere. In fact, stray cats are viewed as a proud Greek symbol - they' re on many postcards. I will say I saw a store vendor feeding a herd of stray cats proper cat food which was good to see. I also witnessed another store owner who took in stray dogs and cats. I only know this because I took him a poor, frightened little 12 week old kitten that had been trapped between a van's front tire and turning rod. I think she was ok but she was really shaken up.

My worse realization came from an Aussie, now Greek resident, who told me an unbelievable claim. As we sat around outside at 2 a.m. in front of the hostel admiring yet pittying all the stray dogs that were trotting down the street - all with collars on! She states that in August there a is large increase of stray dogs in Greece. I asked why. She said that August is the month that most Greeks go on vacation. Alot of Greeks have dogs but no one to care for them while they're away so they tie them up in the front of the house. The dogs get loose and go around town looking for food & water. Some die of starvation. Some get hit. Some manage but are skinny and in poor health. Hard to believe but if you were here and could get a feel for the culture, you might find the story a little easier to accept. Still shocking and really, should not be tolerated. (I haven't seen one stray in Innsbruck yet).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home