Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Those Canadians

Energy. A force that has many concepts. Some things derive energy from another source. Others create their own.

I had a lovely evening out while on Santorini island in Fira. The livliest of all the towns there with crazy "kids" bumping to techno versus a more mature spot with Garage House. Not my fav but I'll take it. Fortunately, my company was fab and fun. I met 3 male Canadians at the hotel- very friendly and harmless. Along with us, my new roommate, Amy, slide into this bar/club which was open roof style, white curtains, lounge couches, indirect lighting, circular bar - very nice and felt a bit Miami. Fruity drinks abound. Life was simple there. I did think it was strange that when you handed your money to the bartender, he in turn, handed it to some guy on my side of the bar who handled all money transactions.

The music was good - not bad and definitely stuff I could dance to at least early on. But to our dismay, no one was dancing. Absolutely no one. This was at 2 a.m. If not now, when? So without discussion, all five of us started dancing in the middle - it was so beautiful outside dancing at a bar overlooking the caldera! We all just looked at each other, smiling, laughing, taking turns dancing by ourselves and with each other - it was like home. One of the guys said, "if they won't dance on their own, they'll feel our energy and start dancing - watch!" Although it took another hour, at least 10 other people at a given time unfolded their arms and were dancing with us - nice! It seemed as though the Greeks just aren't very good dancers to American music but when Greek music came on, more of them got up to dance. Even some of the other girls that met us there (in their Paris Hilton outfits) were dancing with everyone, on top of the bar and even with me. It was a good vibe even with the late medleys - geesh, I really hate medley playing but the energy was too good to stop dancing.

Greek music is different. I heard a few different kinds - maybe I should say "music played in Greece". Some of it took a little getting used to - not really my flavor. Maybe my Dad might like it but I really didn't. Had a really hard folk sound with a old guy singing. There was this other kind of music with higher pitched guitar like the other kind but had, what I would identify as an influential sound from Turkey - sounded a bit Arabic. I preferred this sound and am eager to hear more when I get closer to the Middle East. I love the mysterious sound that kind of music gives off.

1 Comments:

Blogger bdvankeuren said...

Actually the first law of thermodynamics states that energy can be neither created or destroyed. ;-)

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home