Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Spoiled & Wet

Life is pretty easy at the moment, I must admit. Shock to the system has occured with low language barriers, low traffic, nice accommodations, handy bike, and a cooler climate. Tirolies claim this is the worst summer they've ever seen and I can understand why. I would be hard-pressed to believe that we've had more sunny days than rainy. In fact, we're not supposed to see the Sun until this weekend - maybe! Although I just contracted a cold, have the chills on occasion and remain inside until there is light, I know that all in all, life is taking a break. (I think I'll break down and buy a stocking hat today. Yes, in August).

I do want to acknowledge some fantastic accommodations that I've found. Thanks for Lonely Planet for NOT including this place. For it is that reason that I enjoy a different set of travelers. Nepomuk's B&B has everything a traveler might need from comfy beds, charming character, clean, neat, well cared for, family run, above their desert café, centrally located but on a quiet *alley*, suitable (but small) kitchen, large rooms, fancy breakfast in the café with the ocassional pastry included, etc. What really makes the place for me is Almüt, the daughter that runs the joint! She is the nicest, most lovely hostel or B&B host I've ever come across. The true sense of *accommodation* must have been contrived with her in mind because I truly feel at home - a little too much. Your first tip is when she first introduces you to the place and she sits down with each person individually for almost 20 minutes to talk you through the town map, activites, how to get here and there, what to do for free, where the best bars are located, food, etc. "Vhere do you vant to go? Vat do you vant to do", she asks each and every person. She definitely personalizes your experience and wants you to have the best time possible. She is always smiling and really loves what she is doing here - it shows! You can feel her pride in her place and the town she grew up in. Beautiful! Thanks Almüt, especially for my fresh squeezed lemon juice tea and local honey for my cold yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home