Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Tout - hear him (or her) roar

Animal or Beast, these people live and breathe "foreigner". We are all marked for obvious reasons but beyond that, they might as well know my blood type for they speak my language and 5 others. oo-la-la to Hola, they greet you based upon your typical look. A little change in hair style, mustache or a new skirt and you've got a new passport.

Although they speak English fluently, they don't seem to understand the word, "no" or more politely, "no, thank you". With any eye contact, you might as well go home since they won't leave your side for the next mile. And I thought Egypt was bad. I even found a write-up of this phenomenom in the Dehli local newspaper calling out the same tricks and annoyances viewed. If you're not prepared, they can drive you to tears and if you're a couple, you better hope your relationship is solid or this will certainly break apart any volatile partnership you had hoped to save by coming on this trip in the first place!

The words vicious, aggresive, selfish and hawk come to mind when I moved around both Mumbai, Mathura and Agra. The worst experience I had was walking from the train station in Mathura to the local tourist information office which, according to the LP, seemed like a usual nearby 10 to 15 minute walk. Myself and my two nice travel associates (too nice for they were ascended upon like how vultures tear apart fresh meat from a carcass) were bombarded nearly to death by a huge host of auto & bicycle rickshaw, horse carriage & taxi drivers all wanting to help us find where we were going and of course, with our transportation there. Feeling a bit ill didn't help matters. I think this experience was intensified by the fact that we were the ONLY foreigners that got off the train at this stop. Poor people had no one else to hope for.

How did these people come to learn this means of survival? Do they actually think I might look at their goods if they are practically pulling at my shirt sleeve before I even arrive at their shop? Do they get any positive reinforcement from this behavior? Ah, this is the question for even mice can learn a behavior that reaps positive rewards! So who rewards them for these actions, I ask? Are we feeding the ducks that aren't flying south for the winter?

I know 3rd world life is rough and these people do what they can to survive but as travelers, we all need to support these people in more positive ways such as donating to useful organizations or better yet, volunteering our time - again the big misnomer, who has time? Around and around we go - time w/o money, money without time. Although i know I can't change the world but I would really ask anyone who reads this to consider a different means to help these people and not give them money in order for them to leave you alone. Any feedback is welcome on this issue. Perhaps someone else more traveled than myself can offer some thoughts or debate on this issue. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Blogger bdvankeuren said...

Kick em in the shin!

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home