Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Shipping gigs

Mailing stuff home is part of my travel world. As you can imagine, it is only human to gather stuff while you run around a country for a month and then need to unload before the next place. Although it is a bit pricey, it is all part of the cost of travelling.

We all might not think about these kind of things since in our western worlds we are familiar with the protocol. However, mailing a package overseas from another country can prove to be quite an adventure.

I had one such experience in Delhi, India. I had roughly 3.5 kgs which consisted mainly of one book, a few pieces of clothing, my customary CD with photos and some bracelets. Its definitely risky mailing anything home from a foreign country. I'll be surprised if my package from Egypt containing amongst other things, jewelry, will make it all intact but we'll see. However I have a feeling that this package will not be disturbed. Here's why:

  • First, you bring the package to the post office open.
  • After filling out the customs forms, in duplicate, you find a representative (or he finds you!) to package your package for you - you aren't allowed to do it yourself!
  • As you watch, he proceeds to cut down the box especially if the box is larger than the contents.
  • Next he seals the box with tape - pretty normal
  • But then he takes a full peice of beige- colored, cotton cloth and wraps your package up
  • He then takes a large needle and heavy duty sewing string and proceeds to stitch up your package - similar to how you wrap a xmas present! This takes a few minutes and at this point I was kicking myself for not bringing my large, overdue for a chuck, upcoming ebay sale, camera!
  • The to and from address is then applied by marker by myself.
  • Done? Nope!
  • Next, he takes out a red wax candle and a large, what looked like to me, bolt with a hexagon shaped head. Know what he does next? You guessed it - he melts the wax on various places where he had stitched and drips wax on them. Then he mashed the head of the bolt into the wax to give it an *India* seal.
  • Finally you pay him 150Rp (about $3.50) and take your masterpiece back over to the postmaster for delivery. My 3.5 kg cost me about 1100 Rp (about $30) for Sal = by sea and air which should take roughly 1-2 months. Unless they chuck it over the boat, I think it'll make it, complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home