Friday, June 17, 2005

What to bring/what to take - now, what to send back?

How to pack for this trip has been prolly my biggest dilemma. It truly shows how much a person really understands about themselves. Peculiar, isn't it? But I assure you I speak the truth.

I haven't met anyone (yet) that is carrying less than myself, I'm proud to say. In fact, I was met with one comment from a guy from LA - he said, "You're traveling for a year; don't you need more?" I couldn't help but laugh. It was pointless to explain.

What items does a person deem invaluable. And at what point do you say, no more? Books have been written on the subject; I've read at least one. It has helped me greatly to see the difference between a true traveler and what I would call, "an oblivious city-hopping, guided tour consumer". These people bring everything from different sized hair brushes to their own slippers & PJ's. Sounds important. I haven't seen a bag under 60 litres, I don't think. Men are no exception. This is terrible of me but I have to laugh at the packing jobs these people do. I met a super nice girl from Brasil, Ann. Very sweet to me and interested in my trip to Portugal. As she was putting on her pack to check out of the room, it was terribly obvious that her pack was not only lop-sided but the bottom wasn't nearly as packed out as the top! How do these people carry these crazed animals we cynch up.and saddle? Are they traveling by taxi? But staying in a hostel?

After having shipped my first box home and ripping out the important section of a book so I didn't have to carry it, I've learned some hard lessons. One, assuming your trip is similar to mine, don't bring much to start with - especially clothes. Ok, this is my opinion but I have found that almost everything we have at home, they have here (Europe). With some of you, this is obvious. For me, I think I got this piece close for starters. I have found that it's good to bring a foundational base of clothes that you have, need & require for your entire journey. These might include, 3-4 underwear, 3 socks, swimsuit, bra(s), 1-2 quick drying short-sleeved shirts, extremely light, quick-drying convertable pants (if encountering cold weather, big enough pants to wear liner underneath), long-sleeved quick-drying shirt, 1 pair shorts (I'll come back to this), 1 simple nice blouse for night time - light and cool, fleece jacket, super powerful rain jacket, high quality with hood. ! pair sandals & 1 pair of walking shoes or comfortable shoes that you could stand on forever if need be - please, not white - might as well have flashing lights saying, "I'm a bloody American that doesn't know any better".

Use this foundation for all your destinations, no matter what the weather. One of my books said it nicely, "If you change your clothes, change cities!" While in a country, you'll find that it is fun to find local clothing to help you ease into their way of life. For middle Eastern countries and some more religious European countries, this is even more important. Thus, with my foundation I can build onto that a few extra local items that will help me blend in, if you will. Of course, I want my own flare and style however, it's fun to find new fashion that you love - believe me, it's everywhere here. When you leave that country for another, you can either take these items with you if they make sense OR ship them back as your own souvenir. I've even heard of trading them with other traverlers. I have not experienced this yet.

It has been difficult for me to make these decisions especially when I have no idea what a place is like or what people are wearing. You could wear anything in London and fit in however, they definitely are into shoes that are close to the ground, like cars that are low-riders. They look like they have no support in them - not sure if I like them but Merrill makes a really nice shoe for this style. The 80's are back here in London. Flipped up colars, pastels, belts on outside of pants and, Oh my God, boots with jeans tucked inside. Punky hairdo's. My favorite is the skirt on the outside of pants/jeans - I really like this concept actually. I never seem to get the camera ready in time for any style that's over the top.

I think this is my ticket to traveling lightly. Why bring 4 pairs of shorts when you can bring 1 and buy 2 others plus the pair from your convertible pants. Also, you'll prolly find a nice article of clothing that adapts to the environment more efficiently than what you might find at home. So, leave home without it!

1 Comments:

Blogger bdvankeuren said...

Oh Miss Lora: I was there the first time you packed that pack. And if it is as light and small as you say...you've come a long way baby!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home