Sunday, May 15, 2005

Way Out

London is here with me now and I will say, it's crazy. I'm talking about central London. People are in a hurry, stressed, running for the next train, bus or whatever, not a smile to be found - unless I smile first. I'm certainly not going to find peace of mind here so I feel I must move on. But first, let me reflect on what little I feel I have accomplished.

I have been staying with my friend Sunshine here in Islington which is fairly close to central London, or may be considered, I'm not sure. Wonderful stay as she as accommodated me about the same as I had it in the states. Extra cell phone, my own set of keys, laundry, food - geesh, what more could I want!? She has hooked me up and I am grateful! A rather nice prelude to what awaits me. Islington is very quaint and cute and bussling with loads of young folk both day and night. Every single shop is as cute as the last one and is so difficult to not want to pop your head inside even though you may not need anything. Charming and upscale. Although it is loud here, it certainly drives a person to want to get out and do something!

As I ventured out and discovered the Tube system (underground train similar to Chicago's) I found chaos. My Thanksgiving trip to Chicago proved as a warm-up for what I found here. All sorts of people from all walks of life can be classified in this place. In fact, you can wear just about any attire you like and you won't look a bit out of sorts. As for my pink hair - it's everywhere! In fact, it's a little disappointing I think. I much like the fact that I have my own hair style and although I haven't found anyone with exactly the same hair style and color as me, there are a few runner-ups. Now I think it's great to see that its not a big deal here and I rather fit right in. I have been able to find my way around London with the Tube. It just takes a few deep breathes to remind myself I don't need to be in the same hurry as everyone else here as they bump and pass by me.

We took Saturday and checked out changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace - quite a big deal as we must have stood there about an hour just waiting for something, anything to happen. Bird. Horse. Child. Whatever. Anything that might give some signal as to what might happen next. It was interesting and a major production but all in all, I can't believe the mass of people that turned up - perhaps round 1,500 or so. The horses were beautiful and very majestic and proud. The guards were difficult to see but in came the Irish troops to take their place. I continued to wait for a wave from the Queen herself - nothing - not even a show at the window to adjust a curtain. I was disappointed and am thinking the new Pope might welcome my visit with much more exhuberance. The nerve.

Next we went to see the Salvidor Dali collection down by Westminster (I believe). Amazing without a doubt. What a creator he was. My dear friends Pete and Gak would have loved it. Works I didn't even know he had created; sculptures, various types of drawings and paintings I was unfamiliar with, movie clips, etc. My friend and I came out of the museum in our own dream-like state including a gentle smile upon our faces.

Shopping has proven to be a sore spot for me - at least to my feet. I have had to sort out a few things I left behind in Denver but I have enjoyed the overwhelming amount of stores and English variety that we're not accustomed to in the states. Lovely neighborhoods I have visited including Covent Garden, Clapham Junction & Oxford Circus that afford almost any kind of shopping aspiration. Pubs everywhere so no need for water.

The weather has been brisk although today was fabulous. Apparently this is cold to them so am hoping it gets a bit warmer according to my backpack full of goodies.

Tuesday I set off for Glasgow by bus and arrive late afternoon. No friends in Scotland so I'm on my own. Not sure how long I'll spend since I'm interested in venturing off the beaten path to perhaps a country cottage or something crazy. I've heard nothing but beauteous things and must see for myself. After this I go to Ireland to visit a friend, Mr. Tiernan! And then back to London to catch up with the rest of my mates.

London is quite interesting and in some ways, just like America. The 80's is in full swing here with some and for every person that speaks English, there is an equal person speaking another language. Someone for everyone.
lora

1 Comments:

Blogger bdvankeuren said...

Bon Voyage. I'm glad you're finally on your way. I don't think I'm heading home any time soon and at this rate we may cross paths somewhere over on this side of the planet. Rough plan to head to Eastern Europe after this stint...we'll probably pass mid-air!

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home